Saturday, October 11, 2008

Favorites


You know, whenever people ask me my favorite food, or my favorite thing to make, I get pretty pissed. I mean.. not really.. but I hate the question is what I'm sayin'.

I'm in culinary school, I have TONS of favorite foods. I also love making tons of different things, it all depends on what mood I'm in.

Now, I have my "fancy" favorite foods: Goat cheese, super dark chocolate, etc.. But I don't know that I could consider them favorite because I wouldn't want to eat them all the time. They would lose their specialness.

Then I have my comforting favorite foods: Plain cheerios, banana yogurt, oatmeal, cold cream of wheat, skim milk (I have a dairy obsession..). While looking at this list I notice that these are all, for the most part, extremely bland foods. But these are all foods I grew up on and came to adore. I could eat them every day.

As far as my favorite thing to make, I think I've made it obvious that I like to bake cakes, but it's not my favorite. I do love making chili, and I make a mean one at that, but still not my favorite.
I guess sometimes, I like doing the time/labor intensive thing - croissants, apple strudel, bread, etc.. but sometimes I just want to get baked goods into my tummy as quickly as possible - quick breads, cookies, muffins.. or I just want a quick healthy meal that will fill me up - wheat pasta with tuna and veggie sauce or some delicious turkey chili.


So if you ask me either of these questions, I most likely won't punch you in the face, but I might want to.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Hahahhha... I will never ask you those questions... avoiding the risk of being punched in the face.

Button said...

Jeezum, me too! I hate these questions--this, and "what's your favorite band?" or "What's your favorite kind of music?" or "What's your favorite movie?" or "What's your favorite color?"

Hate 'em! I like so many things in all of these categories, and like them all for different reasons. I love the color purple, but I don't want a purple house that makes me feel like I'm drowning in plums. Why do people act so confused when they ask these questions and then I say "Well, it depends on a lot of things..."?