Monday, May 18, 2009

Chili Cook-off!

Last night Ross and I had a vegetarian chili cook-off. Frankly, after tasting both chilis/hearing peoples comments, I thought Ross would be the chiliarian of the night, but somehow I managed to take home the gold (and eternal chili glory).

Usually I keep my winning recipes for bargaining purposes, but I'm feeling generous, so here it is, folks.


Ellie's Chili

1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 large onion
1/2 package of frozen beef substitute crumbles
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 canned chipotle in adobo, plus 1 tsp of the sauce
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 jar tomato sauce (I used mushroom flavor this time)
1 cup water (I usually just rinse out the tomato can/jar and put the water in the pot)
1 bar dark chocolate

Cook the peppers, onions and half the spices in olive oil until tender. Add the beef substitute and cook for a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for 1/2 hour. I usually add the chocolate at various times in the cooking process, just in case it gets too chocolaty, which might be impossible, but I do it that way anyway. I also usually do the same with the spices, and my measurements are approximate for those.

My favorite way to eat it is with avocado, sour cream and cilantro. It's super smokey, rich and a little sweet and spicy. I love it.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Button said...

I'm going to say your secret ingredient is the chocolate--I never thought of adding that to chili! Which is a little strange, since I think of baked goods recipes that involve chili and chocolate all the time.