Saturday, August 2, 2008

Croissant Day


Last year I started a new holiday. Croissant Day.

Croissant Day is exactly what it sounds like, a day dedicated to making croissants.
Backtracking to early 2007, I decided that making these wonderful light pastries would be something good to master. I tried I think, a total of 5 recipes, ranging from 2 hours, to 10 hours.

Having never made croissants before, initially I thought I could beat the system and go for the 2 hour method. I quickly learned that all that lead to was weird rolls, so I kept upping the time on my recipes, but still didn't produce anything close to those fluffy layers of croissant goodness.

So I decided to have a talk with me friend google search, which lead me to the 10 hour recipe. I spent the whole day rolling, refrigerating, turning, more rolling, more refrigerating..etc.. They turned out wonderfully perfect. Just how you would imagine a perfect croissant to be.

Fast forward to now. Croissant day is back, and this time I'm taking the overnight method to somewhat keep my sanity intact.

With a pound of butter and a rolling pin, I say cheers.
-El

2 comments:

Button said...

Shoot, I forgot to pick up butter for my banana bread last night...

Cheers to Ellie having a blog!

Anonymous said...

Yay! an Ellie blog! Keep sane with those fluffy pastries of yumminess. See you soon!

<3 Jo