Friday, November 14, 2008

Late Night Thoughts.


Up late, thinking about where I want my life to go.

I've recently been trying to figure out what part of baking I want to go into. The four main categories would probably be:

Cake Decorating - "Pros" - Normalish job hours, lot of room for creativity. "Cons" - Extremely competitive, you have to extremely good at what you do to get anywhere, and you have to have major artistic talent. I've pretty much written this one off considering I have pretty much zero artistic talent. Can't draw for beans.

Artisan Bread Baking - "Pros" - It's bread. Who doesn't love bread? It's simple, beautiful art. Yet extremely complex, which makes it a very interesting challenge. Something about it seems magical. "Cons" - Hours. Getting up at 2am and going to work. Pretty much killing having a normal life. That means if I wanted to go dancing, I'd have to dance, leave early and go to work. Which might work out extremely well, I haven't quite decided. Also, I might get bored. I don't like routines so much, and baking bread is very routine. Same thing, day after day. Despite those things, this one is high on my list.

Plated Desserts - "Pros" - Somewhat flexible hours, a lot of room for creativity. "Cons" - very complex.. which is either good or bad depending on who you're talking to. Up to you to keep up with the latest culinary trends. For me, all that creativity and trendiness might wear me out eventually. Very time and labor intensive.

Everything that goes under the "Bakery" umbrella, which usually includes some form of bread, plus danish, cookies, pies, etc.. "Pros" - ... "Cons" - Way too much going on. Crazy hours. I've seen the effects of what this setting does to people. It makes them crazy. I hate making cookies, pies and danish in large quantities. I think I would for sure go insane. This is at the bottom of my list, if you hadn't already noticed.


As you can see, I've thought about each one of these in detail. These aren't even all of my options, just the main categories I could come up with. Top of my list: Artisan bread. I'd really love to go into a "just" bread bakery and see what it's all about. It's on my long list of things to do.


Yup, I think about this stuff a lot.

No comments: