Thursday, August 27, 2009

Decisions, decisions...

Busy month, this August. Just got back from Seattle/Eastern Washington/Portland on Tuesday, and had a gig at RPI with Chris, Mike & Jesse on Wednesday. Now it's resting/birthday time in Ellie land.

I may have mentioned earlier that one of my reasons to check out Portland again was to further consider it for a future place to reside long term. Which brings me to my next topic - I need to find a place to move come January. In my current state of mind, I have two choices.

Portland, OR - Good - The weather is beautiful, even when rainy season is in action, everything is alive and green, and when it's not raining, it's sunny and gorgeous. My brother is there, and he could probably find me some housing connections, and since it's an actual city, finding work probably wouldn't be too difficult. Oh, and I wouldn't have to buy a car - a bike would suffice me just fine. They have a dance scene. I'd be closer to the boyfriend.
- Bad - It's really far away from home and most of my family, so it might be too far for my first move away from home. I wouldn't have a car, and even though I wouldn't "need" one, it's comforting having a car. A large portion of the dance scene is blues oriented, and I'm by no means a blues dancer.

Rochester, NY - Good - The sis is there, a large portion of my friends are there, they have a dance scene (with possible teaching opportunities), I would get to keep my four seasons, and there are plenty of people with my same views on dancing there. I don't think I would ever feel lonely. I could probably find housing pretty easy. I'd be closer to home.
- Bad - Work wouldn't be as easy to find, I'd have to buy a car, I'd be just as far away from the boyfriend. I don't know that it's far away enough from home.

There is a third option, which is to stay in Albany for longer, but that is by no means a long term solution to the dilemma. And after December, I have no real reason to stay here, other than my students at RPI, and I'm working on passing on that torch pretty soon anyway.

Big decision, but a necessary one.

4 comments:

Brooks said...

3rd option: Move to Austin :)

Button said...

Pay no attention to Brooks, he just wants everyone to move to Austin. The real 3rd option is to move to Nashville and hang out with me for 2 years, and then we move somewhere awesome together, and I will have a car.

Unknown said...

You know what my vote is!

Unknown said...

1. You can definitely teach with Groove Juice if you come here! Probably even at RIT with me if you want to do that.
2. You could work for Great Harvest making bread.
2. cars are cool.
3. So is snow.
4. I'M HERE! :)