Sunday, September 6, 2009

What the hell is wrong with me?

Enough about this life bull crap for a second - why can't a make a good batch of motherfreaking brownies?

I have tried, for the past say, all my life, to make homemade brownies that
kick those no good, preservative laden, from a bag/box brownies to the curb, once and for all. Have I succeeded? No.... well, sort of.

I used to have a pretty epic recipe for brownies that I thought I had lost forever, re-found it, tried to make them again and they tasted like non chocolatey bullshit. Have I just learned to suck at making brownies or did I have no sense of a good brownie when I was fourteen? Apparently this is what two years of culinary school will do to you, kids. And funny enough, I don't think we ever had to make brownies.

This subject is even tougher because everyone has their different preference of what a "perfect" brownie is. Your perfect recipe may not be mine, and that's why my usual friend google is failing to meet me for coffee on this one.
I've tried a lot of recipes, all resulting in "good" brownies, but not what I want. They all seem to turn out too thin, and almost like flourless chocolate cake (with usually a minimal flour content of 3/4-1 c.), more than the dense, thick, super chocolatey, chewy brownie that I so desire. Plus they never seem to be chocolatey enough, which is a major category for me in the brownie olympics.

I've been trying to wait a couple days after my last failed brownie excursion before trying out a recipe that my good friend and fellow baker miss Breanna Perry has been so kind to part with. From the pictures alone in her recipe it looks promising, so I find my fingers crossed and myself waiting to say, " Yeah, those boxed brownies got nothing on me." But no pressure, Breanna, I'm confident that I'll soon be tasting the chocolatey goodness of sweet brownie victory.

Plus if all else fails, I'll just have to rename this blog "Following a Brownie". :P

No comments: